Saturday, September 25, 2010

お久しぶり!

Well, Mia’s asleep although I am wide awake. Jet lag…such an amazing thing lol.

I haven’t updated this in a long time, and I thought since it’s 5:30 am right now (I woke up at 4:00) and we have until 11:00 to check out of our hotel that this would be a perfect time to update you on what’s going on. I think I will make three posts today, and possibly a fourth one tonight, just so that I can separate out what happened each day, but this first post will just be a reintroduction.

I’m a writer, and while I definitely intend to post pictures and possibly videos, more than likely I’m just going to write about my day. I will *try* to write everyday, but I probably will not once things start becoming more routine, but who knows? (^_^)

My total weight loss before Japan was 55 pounds. And as many people have already pointed out, hopefully I will lose a lot more now that I am in Japan. I did a low-carb diet with significant results, and I feel like I’ve also changed my eating habits. I would replace a lot of simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, sugar etc, with vegetables. Often I would make my own version of mac n’ cheese with zucchini and squash, or I’d use eggplant for pizza crust instead of dough. In addition, I used Lent to quit eating fast food, and just that alone lost me 12 pounds in the first two weeks. Even though I did eat fast food some times after Lent, I reduced the amount from 3-4 times a week, to at the most once or twice in a month. In addition, after I moved in with Brittany over the summer, we would take walks everywhere, including one walk to Walmart and back that was the equivalent of 4 miles. I built up my endurance and stamina, and lost a lot of weight that way as well.

But I think the most important thing that happened was that I began to feel better. I no longer saw my “diet” as a way to lose weight, but as a way to live healthy. Any time I fell off the wagon, I started to feel sick and my body would say “WHY DID YOU DO THAT?” But I also feel that the other important thing I did was not let myself feel guilty when I ate something that didn’t follow my diet. Whenever I craved something, I ate it and then moved on with my life. I think what makes most diets fail is that people try to hold it in as much as they can and then they binge, feel guilty, and never get back on track.

And it helped that I had foot pain every morning when I woke up to remind me of the other reason I wanted to lose weight. I would hobble in the morning if I needed to go anywhere or hobble after an intense walk. Sometimes I was near tears, the pain was so immense, and it all started because I weighed too much. But my foot pain has decreased, and now I can walk for a great distance and still feel okay.

Well, that’s enough for an reintroduction. I will post more for the next day :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

World Clock Red

Followers